Monday, November 29, 2010

The Wasted Space


Hi. First of all, Thanksgiving was awesome. Thank you so much for asking. Second, I just wanted to take a short break from my studies and tell you about what I call the 'wasted space.'

I am currently about 14 weeks into medical school. I am shocked and amazed at the amount of information they have crammed into my gray matter in such a short time. I am under the impression though that they will have to pick up the pace if I am to become a competent doctor in the next 3 and a 1/2 short years. How will they do it? I don't know. But maybe, if I could free up some space in my biological hard drive, they would have a little more material to work with. I am positive that vast tracts of brain space are currently consumed in the maintenance of useless movie quotes. I have entire movies almost memorized. They are, to name a few, A Night at the Roxbury, Zoolander, Princess Bride, The Secret of Nimh, Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz, and Land Before Time. Not only do these movies occupy much needed space, but they could prove hazardous if they came out in clinical practice. Observe:

Patient: "Doctor, am I dying?"
Dr. Chestnut: "Nooo."
Patient looks relieved.
Dr. Chestnut: "Yes!" (laughs) "Gets them every time!" (high fives the air) (Doug and Steve Butavi "The Butavi Brothers" from A Night at the Roxbury)
Patient laughs at first (recognizing the quote), but then stops abruptly, realizing what it means. He looks downtrodden and then becomes very, very angry.

You see! Hazardous! The material is useless and potentially dangerous. The quotes consume me. If only I could erase that useless stuff and cut and paste something important in its place. "Would that this desk were a time-desk so that I could correct my past mistakes... and ride dinosaurs..." (Community Season 2, Episode 9).

So, my message to you is, "Don't be like me, Esse. Don't live in regret" (Bubbleboy).

1 comment:

Bradwich said...

"Nothing left to ponder, muchacho--you lost!"

Also, "Be still, Cody."